August 31, 2022
Matthew T. MacDonald, CISA, CCSFP, CHQP
IT Assurance Auditor
Matt will be speaking on the topic of Stoics on Crypto Security Awareness: Control What You Can Control! Understand What You Cannot at 2:55 PM.
It seems like every day there is another “wallet hack” or exchange hack that seems out of a cryptocurrency investor’s control. That can be hard to deal with, much more so when there is a lot of money on the line! This discussion will aim to present the real world risks, some key differences, and what individuals and businesses alike can do to better understand securing your cryptocurrency.
At the end of this session, attendees will be able to:
- Understand controllable and uncontrollable security risks associated to cryptocurrency exchanges
- Recognize common threat indicators to cryptocurrency exchanges
- Understand specific attacks that may be used against them & controls that protect against it
- Build a better personal security posture for their use of cryptocurrency exchanges
- Not live in a state of constant paranoia!
The Course Content will include:
- Discuss differences in risks to cryptocurrency exchanges – such as vendor and subcontractor risks and API management and going concern issues in major and niche exchanges such as Coinbase, Kraken or others. Use real world examples to support recent successful hacking attempts.
- Differentiate between cryptocurrency project specific risks such as liquidity pull-out schemes and other risks specific to crypto exchanges.
- Give a run-down on the most common social engineering attacks against users that utilize exchanges to transact or hold cryptocurrencies Use real world examples to support recent successful hacking attempts to cryptocurrency & NFT exchanges.
- Discuss the most critical processes and controls for a common user – Give a user a good mix of layered security dependent on their investment style and mix.
- Be comfortable in your decision for where to trade, where to store, where to hide, and how to HODL!
Steve will be speaking on the topic CBDCs, Stable Coins and the Future of Money.
At the end of this session, attendees will be able to: Understand the current government policy on Crypto and Blockchain Technology.
- Understand the evolutionary history of money, from bartering to banknotes. Attendees will form an opinion on the benefits and drawbacks of the history and current systems in place
- Understand the future of money – CBDCs, private stable coins.
- The presentation will conclude on the benefits of a CBDC and Bank issued stabled coins – attends will be able to reason the potential reversal back to private currency